Saturday, February 16, 2013

A story of a shoe...

The most frequently asked question about this piece of mine is "Where is the other one?". The answer is - it is in the progress. Please do not ask when it will be finished.... ;o)

I made it for the Battle of Beadsmith 2012. It is a Facebook group started by Steven Weiss of the Beadsmith company (which needs no presentation, right?). Last year I was too busy to blog about it, but now it is 6 o'clock in the morning, hubby is on his way to the airport and kids are still in bed - with another words it is a perfect time to blog.

So, here is my Freya. More info can be found on WiKi, but the point is that Freya is a norse/viking female deity, sometimes taking bird form. I figured, what speaks Norse better than grass-green colors and ice-cold labradorites? For a contrast, I added some amber (guess it looks like real resin on trees). ;o)

Here is my shoe.

                           


And this a nice photo of a Swedish forrest that I have found on the internet, its owner is Erik@http://erikhorned.wordpress.com/.


                           
The shoe is not embroidered, it is beadwoven. I was weaving and sowing the beadwork onto the textile almost simultaneously to follow the shape of it. Feathers were kindly donated by a rooster, totally violence-free.

My SIL was taking these pics with her fancy camera and my blond Swedish MIL has offered to be a foot model.

Enough talking, here are the pictures:











It went quite well in the battle for me and my Freya. We came to the second round and then lost to a runner-up of the entire contest, Ann Braginsky and her amazing Valkyriahttp://alona-stoev.livejournal.com/106856.html

This year - new battle. I have an idea....

12 comments:

Marsha Wiest-Hines said...

Freya is a beauty, and it is wonderful to hear the whole story behind the beauty. Looking forward to what you will create this year!

Anikó - Gyöngyszerelem said...

Oh, my God! Well that's fantastic, beautiful and amazing! Great work! Congratulations to all! Congratulations!
love
Aniko

DVArtist said...

This is really beautiful. Great job.
Nicole/Beadwriht

theresa campbell said...

jesus that shoe is so beautiful! wow I wish I was THAT talented!!

laminate beading said...

Wow such a great idea...Its very nice to know about beading.

usha.digitalinfo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
usha.digitalinfo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eva Maria Keiser said...

Spectacular!
Greetings,
-Eva Maria

galeria61 said...

Przepiękny pantofelek, musiałaś włożyć w niego ogrom pracy - warto!

galeria61 said...

Przepiękny pantofelek!

Amanda said...

Very beautiful! You are a talented artist.

Pollart Bijou said...

Coś obłędnego. Jedna z ładniejszych prac jakie do tej pory widziałam.