Sunday, September 26, 2010

To be or not to be?

Exactly as the heading suggests - here's the question: does this necklace have a right to exist, or should I re-do the strap part?

Short pre-history. Have you heard the Saga Of Swedish Election'2010? Sad story, actually. Nationalistic populists got into the parlament. Moreover, they've got quite a strong position. Their main thesis - Sweden needs no more foreigners.

My main thesis is, on the other hand - we are all Children of Earth. Screw nations, races, borders, sexual preferences. This necklace, basically, tells exactly that story.

Here you will find turquoise from China and USA, silver aloy from Tibet, Czech and Japanese seed beads, crystal from Austria, etc. That's the way I like it - all goodies are coming together and create something new.

However, there is one BUT... I am not sure if it should be left as it is? Should I make a large heavy bib-style necklace with lots of free-form elements & netting instead of the simple straps of strung beads? Or?
What do you think?
And look at those gorgeous turquoise Swarovski - trey are opaque, but what a sparkle! :)

Actually, I am quite pleased with bezels of those turquoises - I was playing around with freeform brickstitch.


Thanks for your imput!

15 comments:

Emerald Window said...

DON'T TOUCH IT! It's perfect just as it is. It's magical and it tells exactly the story you want it to.
Cenya

snivli said...

Уже самим своим демократичным подбором материалов для кулона ты дала ответ. Конечно! Это же Свободная форма!

eliana said...

i love this necklace...don't touch the pendent (it's magical)...you can touch only the neck part (if you wont!)

Anonymous said...

It's quite lovely! I think it's fine as-is, but if you want a few more layers of strands to the neck part to make it look thicker, then that would be fine as well.

Kat_G said...

Wonderful beadwork!! I like it!!
The colors are so beautiful!!

Marsha Wiest-Hines said...

It's a gorgeous thing Olga! But I think when we are not sure about something, there is usually a reason. For me, the strap is both too delicate and too tense looking for the relaxed look of the pendant. I think maybe more strands, 2 or 3 times as many, with some of them draping more softly to get rid of the feeling of tightness would be nice. But it's your splendid work, and whatever decision you make will be the right one. Absolutely!!! Beautiful ideas and technique as always.

Patricia C Vener said...

The pendant is perfect, I love it, but I do agree with others that the strap needs more weight. A few stands with maybe some turquoise nuggets added could add just the right weight.

beadsandblooms said...

Love, Love, Love it!! But I also agree the strap could use more weight. I like Patricia's idea of added nuggets. Your work is amazing as always!

Foxan said...

MANY thanks for your honest opinions!

Yes, straps need to be thicker, I agree. The bottom of the pendant part looks too heavy in relation to the strap, I feel that either should be added to ballance the composition, or the straps between the foca and the large turquoise nuggets should be made thicker.

Ain't got no turquoise nuggets, gals :( Will think it over, perhaps some Swarovski bicones would do... Hmm....

Thanks again!

Foxan said...

Me, English, not friends...

I meant that "either something else shold be added". :)

Наталья ( Drofa75 ) said...

очень красово!!! и цвет, и форма превосходны :) мои поздравления

RockheadedMama said...

Wow! Not only do I really like your necklace I love your politics! Beautiful work.

KRDesigns11 said...

I was pleased to see that your necklace was not a bib type because that style does not look appropriate on my body shape. I love the shape you've created although it does not look like it can support the pendant weight. More strands, maybe twisted, maybe add a few small crystals; Margie Deeb's Rainforest Cascade Necklace comes to mind for inspiration for you. I'm looking forward to seeing your etsy listing!

LUCY said...

Madre mía, que trabajo....esto es precioso...maravilloso....que belleza....felicidades

Brigitte said...

Whow The necklace is gorgeous